Springboard Studio was founded by Caroline Peterson and opened on January 1, 2007 with a public meditation program which has continued to this day. The Springboard Meditation Sangha (SMS) was Incorporated in 2011 as a lay non-profit Buddhist organization with Brian Arnell as the Senior Teacher. The SMS now sponsors the public meditation program at the Studio, ongoing Sunday workshops and co-sponsors retreats.
Springboard Meditation Sangha is a safe and welcoming meditation community supporting a deepening of individual practice that awakens our mindfulness and compassion for the benefit of all beings.
Springboard Meditation Sangha was established to provide a nondenominational meditation space, oriented to Buddhist practitioners, but welcoming anyone wanting to practice meditation in community. SMS is committed to developing programs that both deepen individual practice, and the growth of our spiritual community (sangha). Our mission includes the awakening of hearts and minds through the direct experience of mindfulness and the teaching of the Buddha, and further, the integration and manifestation of wisdom and compassion in all aspects of our lives, for the benefit of all beings.SMS has a commitment to being located in the Mt. Airy neighborhood, and is dedicated to creating a space that welcomes all people regardless of cultural and religious background, race, socio-economic class, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, education, and physical ability.
SMS Operating Principles
The Springboard Meditation Sangha (SMS)’s Operating Principles are:
- To support mindful practice by continuing to provide an extensive range of opportunities for sitting meditation for SMS members and the general public.
- To provide an extensive range of opportunities for the teaching and discussion of Buddhist dharma. To that end, it is our intention to support a spiritual leader/senior teacher of SMS.
- In addition, we encourage other members to take on teaching roles under the guidance of the senior teacher. It is also our intention to create opportunities to bring in visiting teachers.
- To create a safe and comfortable environment in a leased space conducive to mindfulness practice. We are committed to being located in Mt. Airy.
- To be a self-sustaining organization, able to weather changes: responsive to the community, fiscally prudent, and financially sustained through member donations.
- To cultivate a mindful caring community, providing what support we can to members in times of need.
- Deborah Cooper – President
- Mary Kalyna – Treasurer
- Eric Freed
- Gerry Whelan
- Eliza Callard
- Pamela Freeman